Decorate a room so it seems bigger
Here are a few tips to help make a small room appear larger.
- Open up the room by allowing an outside view or open a door to an adjoining larger room.
- Keep the walls light in colour, as light colours recede.
- Provide good illumination which will enhance a sense of space.
- Paint fascias, architraves, doors etc, and the same colour as the walls. Strongly contrasting colours tend to segment a room and make it look smaller.
- Get rid of small ornaments, crowded pictures on walls and cluttered furnishings – it looks busy and reduces actual size.
- Ceilings should be painted white, giving the appearance of distance. Darker ceilings give an appearance of closing in.
- Use the same flooring material throughout the room, a rug in the centre of the floor will chop a room up.
- If using tiles, larger ones are better than smaller ones.
- Use furniture that is proportional to the size of the room. A large sofa will eat up too much room.
- Decorate windows simply. Show stopping treatments such as billowing curtains encroach into the space of the room.
NEXT TIP »